A place to molest people with cool music news, gear, shows, pictures, etc.

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Tops In 2006 2½: (The Smell of Fear ) - The Albums

I suppose I'll start by explaining why I'm doing 5 instead of 10 like I did on the songs list. I just didn't feel like there were 10 great albums, and I didn't want to dilute these 5 great albums. To clarify, these 5 albums to me are 4 stars out of 4. With that out of the way, here's my list ...


5. Fatlip - The Lonliest Punk
... Fatlip Returns! The thing I dig on this album is he's still Fatlip and he's stil goofin' on himself. The lyrics on "What's Up Fatlip" are the shit. I realize this is technically a late '05 realease but I don't give a fuck. This album reminds of a time when a lot of good hip hop was coming out like Digable Planets, Public Enemy, Pharcyde, etc.


4. Mogwai - Mr. Beast
... Mr. Beast is a great example of musicianship, something which a lot of bands lack. Mogwai have put a really tight album together that has me interested the whole way through. I dig this album almost as much as your mom digs rusty trombones.


3. Peeping Tom - Peeping Tom
... Being a big Mike Patton fan doesn't always mean he's going to put out an album that I'm into, but Peeping Tom has delivered the goods. Patton has called this album his version of pop music, and it's the only pop music I've ever heard that I can get into. The beats rock and the guest appearances (Rahzel, Kool Keith, Dub Trio, etc.) fit right in. Now roll it up and smoke it again!


2. Wolf Parade - Apologies to the Queen Mary
... This album delivers in its entirety. Some stand-outs are; "Modern World", "Shine A Light", and "This Heart's On Fire". This is Wolf Parade's debut album, so let's hope they don't get the sophomore slump.



1. The Mars Volta - Amputechture
... I think this cd was on permanent rotation for about a month when it came out. I've said it before and I'll say it again... TMV is my generation's Zeppelin. This album is pure genuis.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great list! Booyakasha!

2:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home